Thursday 11 September 2014

Interview case studies

I am just in the process of coding my interviews with the teachers and came across three lovely case studies of students' progress which I wanted to share with you. I think they illustrate brilliantly why the scheme has been such a success this year. (Please bear with me on the shoddy transcription.) Enjoy!


Teacher 1:

"At the moment, we’ve been looking at Joseph the musical. So rather than looking at a feature film, we’ve looked at something filmed on a stage, that’s all told through song. And I really thought, when I started it, although it’s a good story, and it’s about betrayal and people getting murdered, and thrown down wells and things like that, and someone ending up in jail and lots of things like that – I sort of thought, that because it was a musical interpretation, the boys might really, sort of, not like it. […] 

But I went with it anyway any and one of the boys who really, really struggles to concentrate, he’s all over his chair. He’s a nightmare to try and get him to write anything. I often scribe for him to get his ideas down because he has got the ideas, but he just can’t, physically, you know, put his brain in gear to pick up his pencil. And he has been really into it and asking, you know, to watch the parts of the film again. And the main aim at was for them to retell - to write from Joseph’s point of view, the story, because obviously the musical is from a third person. And we did lots of drama around it and things like that. And that’s really up Adam’s street - drama type. 

Where he normally falls behind when he tries to write it down - and his was amazing: it had dialogue in it. It was fantastic. It was all punctuated perfectly, and things like that. So I suppose that’s one of my success stories that I was really happy with that. Because normally he would just not be interested in the final piece. He would do all the drama, do all the activity. But in this, he was really keen to get all the whole story written down. And he really enjoyed being Joseph, and he had lots of ideas of what he would feel like, what he would say -yeah, what he’d actually experienced. Because a lot of the children found it hard to disconnect from the musical. We had Elvis in our last stories and things like that. It’s like no, its Faro, not Elvis. Whereas, Adam really got the gist of his. So that was nice."



Teacher 2: 

"One particular boy, in fact was interviewed the other week – a lady came in to speak to us – she sent me a quote from him, she was just talking about - I was at the other side of the room so he wasn’t saying it because I was there  - she was looking at the media literacy display, and he came up to her and was like “we’ve got another media display in the hall if you want to go see it, of our awards ceremony from last year.”  And she said “All right,” and he said, “I’ve become a media leader this year.” And then he just started telling her, he said, “I like literacy. I wasn’t very good at it. I found it really hard,” he said, “but now, I absolutely love the lessons,” he said. “They’re really good fun,” he said, “and I can now write in paragraphs, I can put speech into my work,” he said, “and my levels are going up through the roof,” he said. “I’m just doing so well,” he said. “And I enjoy coming to literacy now, it’s my favourite lesson." And he has gone from level two and he is up towards level four now. And he does have Dyslexic tendencies, but he has just really run with this. 

And another particular boy, who has made progress in his writing and I think he has made eight points in his reading, he again hated literacy, with a vengeance, and I chose him to come to the session with the filmmaker here, and he just turned around to the filmmaker and he went: “I used to hate literacy, but I love it now. I love doing all these films.” And we recently had Ofsted, and I was doing some comprehension around a film when they came in, and he shone. And the Ofsted Inspector afterwards asked me about him and I said: “he is one of my special needs children.” And he said “you would not have though it the way he was firing questions,” he said, “and challenging you as well, as a Teacher.”[…] “And challenging your discussions.” And then he was sort of arguing with some of the higher ability children as well, about the film. I just find it fascinating – the effect that it has had. The first thing that all my class have asked, because I won’t have them next year - - when they went to transition day, apparently all they kept saying to the year six Teacher was, “we will be doing films again, wont we? We will be doing films."



Teacher 3:

"We were doing myths, and myths are quite difficult to do and we watched a short film, just from the BBC short films clips – and it was where Perseus was heading towards the cave of the Minotaur […] and it had a voice-over, but you could also see what was happening. There wasn’t - - it wasn’t a massively impacting film, I didn’t think. There wasn’t many sound effects, there wasn’t much extra animation going on. But the kids just loved it and the actual work that they brought out from it was just amazing. And they felt - - I think they felt like they were heading towards the Minotaur. You can sense in the room when they’re all like, “oh what’s coming on next,” and all that kind of thing. So yeah, that was just one example of a film that really geared, particularly the boys up. And get the boys interested to write. I actually used it as an observational lesson, and the lady who came to see said I can’t believe that that child particularly, who normally struggles – doesn’t want to write – was just literally writing. He kept coming over to her and saying, “read mine, read mine,” and he put his own slant on it, as he always does, but she couldn’t believe how enthused he was with writing."


No comments:

Post a Comment