Wednesday 17 September 2014

Bam! The data presentation chapter is done

Wow, this one was long in the making. After getting (happily) distracted by the Cambridge live coding project in June, it was really only two weeks ago that I returned to my PhD and started to summarise and code the rest of the questionnaires, interviews, observations, writing levels and photos. Working through this absolute TONNE of data has been quite scary but as the days went by my headlines and appendices became clearer and things came together.

I found word's automatic labelling tools for chapter headings and tables absolutely invaluable this time around and it helped to me 'slot in' my data under different headings rather than write in a linear narrative- which would have been impossible! Overall, the whole chapter now spans 22,412 words (71 pages) plus another 22,000 words appendices- it's massive.

My supervisor is currently on holiday and so I will probably not receive feedback until the end of the month. However, I am feeling super that I have finally concluded a big chunk of work and that I am now certain about the differences the scheme has made to the students!

My Analysis chapter will now consider the following research questions:
  1. Can watching films have an emotional impact on students? If yes, what kind of impact becomes visible in the classroom?
  2. Does the watching of film increase students’ motivation for learning? If yes, how does this become visible?
  3. Does the students’ engagement with the film literacy scheme impact on their writing scores? If yes, how so?
These have changed quite a bit since the beginning of the research process, but I am hoping that this is just a natural development. Finally I feel like the end is in sight! I understand that the Analysis and Conclusion are still going to take a bit of time (and that I will have revisit previous chapters, too), but I am definitely beyond the writing summit now!

No comments:

Post a Comment