Monday 8 September 2014

First data analysis and mastering SPSS

Good evening everyone!

After spending most of the last two months on the live coding project for Cambridge Uni, I am slowly but surely returning to working on my PhD full time. I finished collecting all of my data over the summer and this is what I am going to analyse over the next months:

1. Questionnaires (2 sets for teachers and 4 sets for students)
2. Lesson observations
3. Interviews from the end of the year (with the teachers)
4. The writing scores

I learned a lot on the Cambridge project and I am looking forward to open coding and engaging further in SPSS. After a few weeks of being quite uncertain about how to approach the masses of data, I read parts of Doing Quantitative Research in Education with SPSS and it really helped me to understand what I wanted and how I could achieve it.

The chapter is still a bit of a mess, but here you can see the components I have added already:


I have already got a few results, but they are not certain yet- it's going to be fantastic to actually have something special to say! I am especially interested in the relationship between the different variables and achievement: Did the use of film have more of an impact on boys/ older students/ better students due to the use of film? I am hoping to have completed the data presentation chapter by the end of next week...

No comments:

Post a Comment