Sunday 13 July 2014

First thoughts on some of the attainment data

Disclaimer (08/09/2014): I wrote this blog post at a point where I had very little data AND did not understand how to use the software and statistics properly. What I have written is not accurate any more, so please don't quote these results. I left the post, instead of deleting it, as even 'wrong' analysis is part of my research journey- and this instance taught me to check my results three times before being sure of ANYTHING!

***

Hello everyone!

This week I have finally hit the interesting point where I am collecting the attainment data of the schools which are taking part in the film literacy scheme. So far, I have the results from ten of the 21 schools I am researching and after capturing the data, I can make some tentative first observations:

- On average, the students of the schools on the scheme have made almost four points progress over the year (three are the expected progress)
- The older the class was, the more progress the students made (rising to 4.2 points in Year 6)
- The 'worse' the school had been graded by Ofsted, the more progress the students made (rising to 4.2 for the 'requires improvement' schools)
- Although girls made a little bit more progress on average (0.2 points) this is really minimal
- There was little to no difference in attainment between students who had started the year below their expected level in writing and those who started at the expected level

Please don't quote me on anything yet- there is still lots more data to come! Great to see that the scheme is actually making a difference though and that I can finally use some of my new statistics skills!

No comments:

Post a Comment